*This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
Fun Things to Do with Your Kids Before Summer Ends!
Its already August guys. It seems like the summer has flown by (as it always does). If you’re like me you haven’t been out in the sunshine nearly as much as you told your kids (and yourself) that you would be.
My son was born last July. He was due July 12th, then 14th. He didn’t decide to make his appearance until July 25th! I remember being soo uncomfortable and scared to leave my house because EVERY DAY I thought “this is the day!” We spent almost all of July at home. My daughter was 5 years old at the time and just wanted to go to the beach. Or the park. Or anywhere!
SO, this summer her and I made a Summer Bucket List of all the amazing things we planned to do.
Our list had 23 things on it. So far we’ve done 7 of those things. SEVEN? Ugh
I’ve compiled a list of some fun and creative things to do with your kids before they’re back in school!
Lets end the summer with a Bang and make August amazing!
Where to go with the Family this Summer?
- Camping! Whether its roughing it in your tent or renting a cabin or cottage. Life at the lake is always good.
- Check out the animals at your local zoo
- Go to an indoor aquarium. Ripley’s Aquarium is our favourite!
- Spend the day at an amusement park or water park
- Find a local festival or fair…there are always so many going on in the summer.
- Fruit picking…we are lucky enough to live in an area surrounded by farms and vineyards. “Pick your own” farms are very reasonably priced. Plus the fruit is always so much better than store bought. Strawberries, raspberries, peaches, cherries. Check online for whats in season!
- Go to a Provincial or State Park
- Check out a museum or science center
- Shop local at your Farmer’s Market
- Go for ice cream..one of our favourite things to do!
- Go to the Butterfly Conservatory (or Bird Kingdom)
- Explore a new town in your area
- Major league or local baseball game
- Outdoor mini putting
- Go to the drive in…wear your pjs and bring blankets and pillows.
- Swimming at a public pool..or in the lake!
Summer Fun on a Budget!
Summertime can get expensive. There’s so much to do, so much fun to be had. But all the fun adds up. Sometimes we need to give our wallet a break and simplify things a bit. Here are some things you can do together without breaking the bank.
- Go to the park..literally any park. My daughter loves the swings and would go to the park everyday if she could
- Run through the sprinkler
- Go for a walk and look for an ice cream truck
- Find a free animal farm or petting zoo
- Go to the splashpad. Hours of free fun
- Have a water balloon fight
- Go to the beach.. we are lucky enough to live about a ten minute drive from one of the Great Lakes. Pack some snacks, lots to drink, bring a floatie and some beach toys and make a day out of it.
- Have a backyard campfire and roast marshmallows. You could even set up a tent!
- Go for a bike ride either through your neighbourhood or on a nice trail
- Plant a garden (this would have been better done in June but you can still plant some herbs or veggies and grow them inside!) If you’re green thumb challenged like me this Miracle Gro Aerogarden is ah-mazing!
- Sidewalk chalk murals
- Hopscotch or skipping rope..sometimes you gotta take it old school
- Play a game of baseball or touch football
- Make paper boats and race them in a kiddie pool
- Blow bubbles
- Play catch
- Collect rocks and paint them
- Go rollerblading
- Volunteer at a local animal shelter
- Watch the sunrise or the sunset
- Attend a free outdoor concert..there are also free outdoor family movie nights in our area that begin around dusk. Check to see if there are any in your region!
- Visit the library and get your kids practicing their reading skills
- Paint your own sneakers or tie dye your shirt
- Make bird feeders out of popsicle sticks. Paint them and hang them in your yard
- Take your kids to a free workshop at Home Depot or Michaels
- Go and watch a firework show
Summer Fun without leaving your house!
This summer has been one of the hottest that I can remember. Some days you just don’t want to leave the house. Especially if your babies are really young!
With the hot hot weather we’ve also had quite a few thunderstorms and rainy days…read on for ideas to keep your kids sane when they can’t play outside.
- Bake…literally anything. My daughter and I love to find new recipes to try out. This recipe for banana muffins is one of our favourites! It’s sooo easy and we usually add walnuts to half and chocolate chips to half.
- Make a fort out of cardboard boxes or blankets
- Have your kids write and illustrate their own book or write a letter to a family member. My daughter loves doing this. It’s also a great way to improve their printing and spelling skills.
- Make your own jewelry with beads
- Have a tea party
- Movie marathon! We’ve been doing Friday night movie nights for a few years now and my daughter looks forward to it every week! Pop some popcorn, buy some treats and let them stay up just a little bit past their bedtime. We’re creating memories here!
- Two words..homemade.pizza. You can’t go wrong. Let them pick their own wacky toppings. Or if your kids are like mine…cheese only…hold the sauce.
- Dress up..boys can get in on this too by dressing up as pirates or superheroes
- Puzzles! This *used* to be a favourite pastime in our house. We may need to dust off some of the puzzles again
- Crafts…painting, drawing, cutting, gluing… here is a great site for kids summer crafts
- Make your own ice cream or popsicles
- Read to each other
- Have a game night with charades, pictionary, bingo or…a family favourite in our house…Trouble
What do you and your family like to do in the summer??
Leave a comment and let me know if there’s something you love to do with your kids that you didn’t see on my list!